Wednesday, May 6, 2009

It's time for some FUN!



FUN!!!!

Fun???

Fun. It’s that magical thing that gives meaning to life. It’s that thing that keeps the batteries recharged. It’s that missing ingredient that we seem to forget about when work, life, and school seem to be demanding all of our time. During the times when we feel we have too much to do, fun is the first thing that we willingly sacrifice. We feel guilty to take time out for fun and forget that an hour or two of fun will make us more productive in everything else we do.

I had a work-study who made a technically nice flier today. The information was well presented but the flier was BORING. I asked him about fun, and he couldn’t remember what it was. I have a grad student whom I mentor who was feeling overwhelmed this afternoon by life and years of study. She is making less than A’s this month because her work is flat and predictable. I mentioned that she needs to go have fun and she doesn’t feel she has time for it. A former student today was talking to me about feeling depressed because she works and takes care of her three children and can’t figure out what is wrong with her life. She too couldn’t remember fun and laughing outside of her existence with her children.

 I too had forgotten about our need for fun because I was swamped with grown-up responsibilities, until this past weekend. I spent some time with friends, rode around Stuart, FL for two days on a GoPet, and smiled and laughed like I haven’t in years. I came back to school this week with renewed energy, focus, and enthusiasm and have gotten more done in the past three days than I have in the last three weeks.

Life is short. Work and family can be demanding. Everyone expects more and more from us and so we hide in video games and YouTube and television and Facebook just to escape the pressure. But it doesn’t help does it? Instead, go fly a kite, laugh like a kid, buy a new toy, or something else you used to do when you were young. Fun is still there, you just have to rediscover it. And when you do, you’ll find that you actually have more time and energy than you’ve had in years because you are more creative, productive, and energetic.

Work hard and play hard is more than a mantra. It is the recipe for success in everything you do. Talk to you later, I am off to ride my very own GoPet around town for a few hours.

PS, - If you don’t know what a GoPet is, e-mail me (greg@getagopet.com), or visit http://www.GetaGoPet.com. I got so excited about having fun again that I am becoming a distributor for the company this evening, but that is a new blog and web site that will just have to wait until tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Although I love the GoPet and see dozen of ways to go green and have some fun at the same time, the point was not to sell the GoPet but to rediscover having fun. The GoPet is allowing me to do so. Getting out and playing can take many forms and is an individual thing. So are you going to make time to play today, and how do you have fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg, this post came right on time for me. I haven't been having very much fun lately ... and I was thinking today as I was taking a walk that I needed to rediscover things I love to do.

    And then, I came across your post.

    Great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete